HuffPost: Frances Bean Cobain was noticeably absent from Nirvana's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Thursday, April 10. The 21-year-old old couldn’t make the event because she was ill, according to her mother, Courtney Love. Cobain appeared to have made a full recovery by Sunday, when she was spotted at Coachella with her fiancé, Rambles frontman Isaiah Silva.
Twenty years after Kurt Cobain’s death, photographer Kevin Mazur remembers the iconic singer. See a gallery of his images of the Nirvana frontman and the stories behind them.
More rare/unseen Nirvana photos!
Frances [Bean] went to Dave [Grohl]’s house and had dinner and made up her mind about him on her own. I’m not gonna speak for her, but basically… he’s Dave. And that’s not my problem; I’m not in his band, and I don’t have to deal with it. But Pat [Smear] and the Cobains have been really close. Pat’s been really close to our family.
Lots of great stuff in the U.K. Telegraph's interview with Courtney Love:
- She complains she has already been in trouble this week for implying there would be a reunion of the classic line-up of her original band Hole next year. “We may have made out but there is no talk of marriage,” she says of tentative meetings with former band mates. “It’s very frail, nothing might happen, and now the band are all flipping out with me.”
- Yet Love has come under criticism from some quarters after revealing that she is developing a Broadway musical about Cobain, not a genre most fans would associate with his punk sensibility. “It’s more a play, conceived by a brilliant team. I can’t name names, but when you hear who is possibly involved, it takes on a new dimension. Otherwise it’s Vegas rubbish, and I will never allow it. There will be no jazz hands on ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’!”
- When her late husband’s seminal grunge band are inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in New York, on Thursday, April 10th, mother and daughter will collect the award on Cobain’s behalf, alongside surviving band members Dave Grohl and Krist Novoslevic. “I wasn’t in Nirvana, but it’s what widows and kids do. And it does give me ownership of the mythology, rather than just handing over to Krist and Dave their ownership.”
- Love believes, and she may well be right, that because of her outspoken and often inflammatory public persona, that the music she creates has to be bold, fearless and of the highest possible standard, or she will be ripped to shreds by critics. “I can’t just do a really good rock record and that’s the end of it. I can’t be Nickelback. And not to be a bitch, I can’t be the Foo Fighters.”
- She recently rejected her own ghostwritten autobiography, sending it back to Harper Collins because, she says, “It’s like me jacked on coffee and sugar in a really bad mood. I said keep your bloody money. I’d rather keep my friends.”
- In a way, it’s a disservice to Love to constantly contextualise her with Nirvana, and the soap opera of her life as a rock widow. “It was twenty years ago,” she says, thoughtfully. “I’ve had great loves since Kurt. I probably should have married again. But I couldn’t put my tiara and my little slip dress in a box and go and be Mrs. Somebody who used to be Courtney Love.”
An animated version of Jon Savage’s July 22, 1993, audio interview with Kurt Cobain.
Dave Grohl: "The reputation that Nirvana has is that we were three Sid Viciouses"
|All Songs Considered:||Were there a lot of drugs and alcohol in the studio [during the making of In Utero]?|
|Krist Novoselic:||No, no!|
|Dave Grohl:||What is this, Behind the Music?! C'mon, guys!|
|Novoselic:||I don't remember even a beer, or pot. Nothing.|
|Grohl:||I had stopped smoking pot, like, in 1990. So I was a sober guy. Plus, where the hell are you going to get weed in the middle of winter outside of Minneapolis? We weren't making a record at Tuff Gong! I mean, we were focused; that's the funny thing. I think maybe the reputation that Nirvana has is that we were three Sid Viciouses, Viciousuzzes, how would you pluralize that? Viscii?|
|Novoselic:||It was kind of a family atmosphere.|
|Novoselic:||Courtney came over with Frances. And then Courtney wanted to add to the family atmosphere in that she wanted to bake us a roast, remember? And we were like, "Oh, no!" So I think we unplugged the stove and said it was broken. And were like, "Oh, the stove doesn't work!"|